Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Donating to organizations

I want to share something with you  that a reader emailed to me.

"Since I started stockpiling items, I have been getting items for close to free.  I have noticed how bulky and large our cupboards are starting to get, especially since my fiancée and I have no children. I finally started asking around to see if my church or food shelves would take donations for shampoos, body washes and etc.
One food shelf (near me in Forest Lake) said that this is actually what they need more of, since they mostly get food. They also mentioned that the travel sizes work best since they can help more people that way. I myself struggle with this, since there are so many coupons for items I don't necessarily need, especially these travel size items when I can get the larger sized items for almost free. But know that I know this, I am trying to put more aside for charity. I was just wondering if you could share this with some of your readers and maybe mention some food shelves that are in need of donation". 


I totally agree that food shelves need more than just food.  Last year alone, I donated more than 400 non food items to local charities around me.

Each year, my son's school hosts a "Stuff a Truck" food drive.  Each year we donated and the donations of items kept growing.  One year we brought in 550 items, yes we counted, as the school was having a contest!  I would say that 150 of those items were shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, etc.  I wanted to donate women's supplies, but didn't think that the elementary kids would understand those.  LOL

So, if you can get something for free and you can not use it or give it away to a family or friend, please consider donating it.  Ask at your church if they have a program to help out families in your church.  CEAP is another great place to donate (they take clothing also).  If you need help to find a place to donate, please post in the comment section.

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,

    Us ladies in Gamma Sigma Sigma have been helping out a program called Brain Power in a Backpack. It is for kids who are very low income and aren't eating over the weekend. Thus, they come to school hungry and not ready (or able) to learn.

    We collect individual items like individual mac & cheese, soup with the pop tops, and individual applesauces to donate to this program. Each child goes home with a backpack filled with food.

    If you are interested, I can send you more information. Just let me know: crystalemily [at] yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to hear about couponers donating so much. I feel very fortunate to be able to do so as well even though my husband has been out of work for more than a year. It wouldn't be possible without all the great guidance Karen and others have given me. Thank you, Karen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are coming to the get together, we will be collecting for Brain Power in a Backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all great ideas. I want to add another idea to the mix. I use a website called www.grocerycouponsforfree.org. They have resources where I can donate my extra coupons too. Resources like the overseas military coupon program and food shelves are listed on the website of where you can donate coupons. I print every coupon off of this website. I pull out the coupons I need and then donate the rest to one of the programs listed on this website. Grocerycouponsforfree.org is a wonderful site committed to helping people!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews